Re: to solex or not to solex

To: IMPORT1@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: to solex or not to solex
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 99 12:31:32 CDT
Jeff,

I would stop for a moment and write out what you are wanting
to do with your 2000. Nice street car, fun autox car, flat
out race car? You get the idea.

I would first put on your best SU's.

Check the exhaust system. If some muffler shop installed
a 1&1/4" exhaust pipe.. REPLACE IT! Bigger the better,
as long as you can get it through the frame. Stan Chernoff
has a nice set of headers. ;-)

Now how is the car performing? Ignition timing (i.e.
distributor), cam timing OK? Full tuneup.

You could run a solex setup (I'd use smaller chokes)
with the original camshaft.  I have a 'DeLong'  cam
on my '68, with SU's. Great around town, and pulls from
3,000 rpm up towards 8,000 in a real hurry! ;-)

Once everything was "cleaned up, sorted out, and spec'd
correctly" my '68 came to life. A clogged muffler would not
let it perform correctly.

It is fun to do the process "one step at a time" fashion.
Making the progess easy, so you can test & feel the difference
at each step is the way to go.

Cheers,

Tom