Re: Piston rings

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston rings
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:13:19 -0700
IMPORT1@aol.com wrote:

> Just opened my Nissan piston rings for the 2K (std) and was very suprised to
> see a one piece oil ring, not the typical 3 piece.

Jeeze,
        Big spender!  Last time I got rings and pistons, the rings were almost
as much as the pistons!  Total Seal rings are about the same cost, and
are thought to seal better, but:
        Mine came thru the same way, and seem to work fine- they've been in
about 4 years.  Also, the KS pistons for the 2002 had single-piece
rings, too- this might just be the way oil rings are these days?  I did
notice (on the KS pistons) that the scrapers on the top and bottom of
the ring are pretty aggressively profiled, i.e. they're at a steep angle
to the cylinder wall and had a pretty small contact edge.  That's a big
change from the thin, flat ring of the 3-piece.
different, huh?
Toby