Trip Report

To: "Roadster listgroup" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trip Report
From: "Dan Neff" <neffster@mail.bemail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 99 13:52:35 MDT
[I sent a trip report Wednesday, and it looks like my !@#!@$ email
 server tossed it. If this is a resubmit, I apologize]

Short version:
   My First Roadster trip! 1400 miles from Colorado to Utah and back
(with 14 yr old son). NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS!! Nada!! Zip!! Avg'd 28
mpg. Added oil to SU's in Utah (expected, they be leaky), and that's
all the attention it required. First 1/2 of trip out was thru snow,
blizzard conditions, rain, etc.. On the return, I got 'er up to 100
mph (speedo read 105) in eastern Utah for my top speed in the
Roadster. Felt like it could go all day at a 100!! Other Roadster
sightings: 0.
   About the only downside was my right leg felt like it was going
to fall off... Man, that sucker cramps after 9 hrs driving!! I think
I'd be fine with a cruise-control; but holding that throttle down
all day in close confines (when you're 6'2") got pretty nasty... And
the noise.. Ear plugs are a MUST!

Long version:
   Woke up Friday morning w/ 6" of snow on the ground. Weatherman
advised against even trying to drive to Denver (Monument Hill is
notorious for sheet ice and a SUV graveyard when it snows). Vail
Pass (10600') and Eisenhour tunnel (11000') on I-70 had a chain law
in effect. So, we went south: US50 over Monarch pass (10500'), which
had an unannounced chain law in effect!! Well, I had chains with me
(wife said to), but they didn't have anyone checking cars, so we
went on up without putting them on. No problem! (they should call it
'Chains or Brains' law). Blizzard/white-out conditions at top, yet
the road was dry on the west side before we got to the bottom!
Rained about the 1/2 the rest of the trip. Took 11 hrs to get there
(add lots of potty and gas stops).

   US50 is gorgeous. 55 mph seems way too slow even in the rain -
it would be a blast at about 75. But being wet, I kept a lid on it.
If you're not in a hurry, that's a beautiful drive between Gunnison
and Montrose.

   Had a blast with son and the many friends we have out there. It
seems Roadsters are more rare out there than here!! Got a lot of
gawking at it -- even with it's awful paint condition (Mark Dent's
got a jpg up in his www.datsunroadsters.com site now. Thanks Mark!).

   One friend runs the Porsche/Audit/VW dealership out there, and
let me 'test drive' a '98 Boxter convertible. Wow. Well, actually,
it's too rich for my taste.. He was surprised I "didn't drive it
harder". Oh yeah, like I'm going to drive somebody else's $50k car
around a wet highway like I would my Roadster??? Actually, on a wet
highway I'd be a little cautious with it too (hey, is it just me? I
developed a real 'conservative' style on wet pavement from
motorcycling. Even my Roadster in town I have trouble keeping
traction when I give it gas (maybe its my 2 position gas pedal:
To-the-Floor and OFF), so have continued to be cautious).
   I _DO_ appreciate the Boxter's setup for the door-windows --
they automagically drop 1" when you open the door, and raise an 1"
when closed, to seat glass inside a plastic seal in the top - nice
and tight. No leaks!! Well, but, sure - give me $50k, and I could
probably have one on my Roadster too!

   My ragtop came home stretched -- I guess long hrs at 75-80
stretches it enough to do that, altho it seems to have shrunk back
since then. I've got a leak under the dash, passenger side. First
guess is heater fresh air intake; seems to happen only when parked.
Go figure. Top leaked at windshield before we left (fairly new
weather strip, incorrectly installed), so I added an extra strip of
house weatherstrip- which worked 100%, but difficult to get top
latched in.

   Heading home the weather was mostly overcast but clear, so we
took I-70 all the way and hauled butt. I was really impressed with
the Roadster's 'hill' climbing ability!! Going up Vail pass and
Eisenhour tunnel, it simply roared. Had to downshift a time or 2 to
4th, but had no problem holding 75.. I don't know how many cars I
blasted past.. only ONE car passed me going up. Yeah, I let the
SUV's blaze past me on the downhill-straightaways, but who cares?
ok, I'm getting hormonal here.. ;)

  Wonderful trip all in all. I am truly astonished the car was so
reliable. Maybe I _will_ get it painted one of these days...

  Have to figure out the leg cramping problem before I head out to
one of those Calif rally's.. 2 drivers might help..

  Anyway, if you're thinking about travelling in your Roadster..
DO IT!!
dan.
Dan Neff   '69 2000
neffster@bemail.com