Re: Brakes locked - Stuck in New Jersey

To: Mark Dent <stickerman@home.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes locked - Stuck in New Jersey
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:33:34 -0700

Mark Dent wrote:

> All
>
> Dennis Desmond is stuck in New Jersey after buying a car in Maryland
> today (Sat.). He bought a car in Maryland today but here is the story,
> maybe you guys have ideas.
>
> This morning I got a call from the seller that the Master Cylinder went
> bad and Dennis was on his way from New York. So I pulled the M/C from my
> car and we put it on his. (It was the only way to get one on short
> notice). After bleeding the brakes Dennis and Mike (the seller) went on
> a ride and the brakes locked up. I went to get them and we bled the M/C
> which seemed to solve the problem.
>
> Now Dennis is in New Jersey (at his moms house) but the front brakes
> locked up on the N.J. Turnpike. After sitting a while and letting the
> brakes cool down, he continued to his moms. He needs to get to NY
> tomorrow (and solve the problem for good). Any ideas?
> Sound familiar?
> --
>
> The best part is he is not letting this get him down at all. He is still
> having a blast he says!
>
> Mark
> Baltimore
> http://www.datsunroadsters.com
> 1968 1600

Mark,
I had similar problems with my car,after it sat for a couple of years.
the front disc's would calipers would not retract all the way back into the
cylinders due to build up on the piston walls.If this sounds similar to his
case,
the problem is probably in the calipers.This applies to the brakes with
double master cylinders.Check the front calipers when the brakes are
applied,due they cease
against the disc's. If you rotate the front tires they should retract!
The extreme is he might have to rebuild the front disc calipers.My problem
went away after a few miles, and bleading the brake system a few
times,although,
they still needed replacing.
I looked around for a "T" for you, and all I found was D, S and N.

Mike