Re: Hobbyist or Enthusiast?

To: "Miller, Don" <MillerD2@idhw.state.id.us>
Subject: Re: Hobbyist or Enthusiast?
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:13:14 -0700
Don-

Don't you think that the Ferrari V-12 swap might  require just a tad bit of
frame
stretching/bodywork? It would be a shame to so radically alter the classic
lines of a
Roadster just to worship more mightily at the altar of the Great God Horsepower.

Brings to mind though, the story I heard about the Ferrari owner who tried in
vain to
outrun a Rolls-Royce that was approaching from behind (I think this happened in
Germany,
on the autobahn). Frustrated and confused after being passed by a "Roller"
while he was
topped out in his 312 Mondial (or whatever it was) he encountered the Rolls in
the next
town and discovered the secret to the machine. It had had a little "in-house"
engine swap
done (keeping it all in the family) - the stock engine had been traded for
another
well-known Rolls-Royce product - a Merlin V-12! (Better known as the prime
mover behind
the Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire and D-model-and-after P-51 Mustang)
Displacement: 1710 c.i., HP rating: around 2,000 (with turbo-supercharging). I
understand
that the Rolls' chassis and bodywork had been "altered" a bit in order to
accommodate the
family upgrade...

Gary McCormick
'70 2000