Re: monkey wrench

To: "Chris Lyon" <chrisroxx@excelonline.com>,
Subject: Re: monkey wrench
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:55:46 -0500
>Hey everyone, Just thought I'd update everyone onƯ my rebuild. After the
>intial problem of fixing my clutch, the engine was still out. I thought
>what a great oppurtunity to check for any other major problems, rings,
>valves, all that stuff you can't see everyday. So now I think i'm a
>little over my head,so to speak. turns out my head has a small sprinkler
>system crack in it and I need a replacment or a used one. But alas I am
>still determined to finish this by the end of summer. What do you do
>with the old head? Also my speedometers mile counter is stuck and i
>would like to fix it once the rebuildt engine is in. Thanks for letting
>me rant.

Unless there's a chunk of material missing (doesn't sound like it) you
can probably get it repaired. I've seen some L-series heads with badly
mangled chambers from dropped valves that were welded and reworked. Now,
as to where to get it done, I'm not sure. I'll be happy to check around
here in D/FW if you want.

You might give Corky Bell a call in SA. He used to be very into Datsuns
when he was up here. If there's someone good down there, he'd probably
know.

Having another to put on would be nice in any case. Minimum down time.

HTH,
Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)