(Fwd) Re: carbs and heater hose

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: (Fwd) Re: carbs and heater hose
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:48:44 PST8PDT
CHRIS: This mesage is for you, but your ISP has selected to flatly refuse
messages from our educational domain. Oh well, their loss not mine..
LIST: Sorry for the clutter..

Chris, you asked:
> Is there a standard bowl adjustment with the little clip thingy?

Yes, there is, but I'm not sure offhand what it is :-).
Here's a quick check, though. Pull the dome and piston and look
down at the seat. You can see the fuel level. If it's too high,
it'll be puddling in the bottom of the carb :-). (the level at the
seat is the same as the level in the bowl).

> On the needles, Do you just push them up in there as far as they will go?..

The needles have a 'shoulder' at the base. The 'proper' setting is for the
shoulder to be flush with the face of the dome. If it's in deeper, that
richens the mixture; sticking out and the mix goes lean.

There are different needles to alter the mix: pre-smog, post-smog, and
high altitude. Keith Williams has done lots of testing on the R16 and in
the Las Vegas area found the high altitude needles worked best (as I
recall).

The heater hose, you probably noticed, has different diameters at each
end.

-- John