Deterrents

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Deterrents
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:15:35 -0800
Embarrasing "choke" story:
        A few years (ok, 5) ago, I was in Britain, and needed a car.  Went to
the local car hire, filled out paperwork, and got keys.  The rather
attractive and somewhat flirtatious person at the counter said, "It's
the new red Ford, right in front.  Shall I come out with you?"
Embarrased, I said, "No, I'll be fine, thanks!"  So I hop in this little
Ford, and  try to start it.  For about 5 minutes.  Nothing.  I check
everything I can think of.  So back in I go, feeling stupid.
        She comes back to the car with me, hops in, pulls the CHOKE out, and it
starts right up.  "No problems!"  I'm just standing there, staring at
the choke, feeling REALLY stupid.  "It has a CHOKE?!?"  "A what?"  "A
choke!"  "Oh, you mean the strangler!" (she laughs- the car's labelled
in French!)  It was a tiny little car, but, for me, feeling about 2 feet
tall, it was the roomiest thing I'd ever driven...
        Roadster content:  both my roadsters have chokes, as do the Volvo and
the 2002.  I'll never figure out the brain-block that told me there
couldn't be a choke on a new car in a foreign country...
Toby