RE: Roadster's British heritage

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Roadster's British heritage
From: RoadsteRob@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:29:35 EST
SPL311RDST@aol.com wrote:

>> Let me draw to your attention the first Nissan
> product -  a lisenced built Austin Seven. (a BRITISH car). This car put the
> company "on the map" in the auto industry.

Contrary to popular belief the first Datsuns were not licensed Austins
although there was some similarity.

The first ever Japanese car to hit the UK was a Dat 91, imported in 1934 by
Herbert Austin, who saw a similarity between the Dat to the Austin 7. (The
Dat sold for half the price of the Austin in Australia and this was causing
concern amongst Austin chiefs). There was no copying proven.  Originally
green, but now painted black, the car is now part of the National Motor
Museum. Aspects of the styling and grille are very similar to the Austin
Ruby, but the Dat actually predates the Ruby by a year. Could the Austin have
been influenced by the Dat? And could the MGB, launched nearly 30 years
later, have been influenced by the Roadster?

Mlandskroner@mlg.com wrote:

>>Many years ago when I had my first 240Z a mechanic I used told me the L
>series engines were knockoffs of Mercedes designs and he should know as
>I saw plenty of both of them in his shop.

The Datsun/Nissan ohc technology was a carry over from the Nissan/Prince
merger - Prince manufactured licensed Merc engines in the early 1960s and
Nissan carried on with the ohc development, hence the similarity.

Regards

Rob
<A HREF="http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/";>The Classic Fairlady Roadster
Register</A>