Re: Steering Boxes and other Things

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Boxes and other Things
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 21:38:20 -0800
Michael Landskroner wrote:
> Rather than take the vacuum from the carburetor for the vacuum advance,
> can I take it off the intake manifold?

Sure can, as long as you don't mind a big timing *retard* right off
idle. Manifold vacuum is high at idle, which will actuate the
distributor advance. When you open the throttle you kill the vacuum and
retard the distributor resulting loss of power right when you need it.
Not uncommon for smogged cars (68-70) to have the vacuum lines reversed,
what's worse is the added vacuum advance is usually dialed out when the
timing is set.

It would be neat to figure out how to use the manifold vacuum to advance
the distributor (modified linkage, smoke & mirrors), since Solex carbs
don't have a vacuum advance port. This would probably improve gas
mileage without hurting performance. I can't figure how to do it though.

Todd Osborn
2x68 2L
San Jose, Ca