Got Spring Fever! Time to get the Roadster back on the Road!

To: "Datsun Roadsters (E-mail)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Got Spring Fever! Time to get the Roadster back on the Road!
From: "Dave Driemeier" <dave.driemeier@pcg.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:08:53 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01BFA4A9.EFF91510
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Hello everybody,

I've been away from the list for a couple of years.  Seems like I put my
life on hold for Y2K.  After two years of converting accounting software, I
need some high RPM shifts and high G corners with the top down!!

I have a 1970 2000 that needs a little attention to get it ready.  Car was
redone with a frame off restore about 7 years ago, but there are a few items
that need attention before it can be used as a daily driver.  It has about
4000 miles on it since the restoration.  It's not a collector car, since
serial #s don't match.  Original engine put a rod through the block.  I want
to use it as my good weather car, for daily driving.

Problems:

Worn throttle shaft on the SU's.  Carbs have never been right.  Rough idle.
It runs out of air long before redline.  I'm thinking about options.
Rebuilt carbs?  Where from?  Upgrade to Solexes?  How about fuel injection?
<G>

Lights dim above 4000 RPM.  I got a suggestion that its the voltage
regulator vibrating?  Rebuilt alternator is installed.  It's charging the
battery fine.

Smog pump is on car to get it through CA smog check.  I've since moved to
Kansas City.  Is it worth removing?

Fuel gauge is not working.  How do I check the sender to see if it's the
sender or the gauge?

Tires are getting dry rot.  Were old when put on car.  It's got Panasport
wheels.  How big a tire can you get under a roadster with stock fenders.
It's been lowered an inch.  What tire for street use?  How about autocross?

Biggest problem is transmission.  It has never downshifted to second without
grinding.  Previous owner had it apart and put new syncros in.  I think I
will have it done by someone who knows Roadster transmissions, since I have
to pull the engine!  I don't want to do it twice.  I have a spare
transmission of unknown condition, so I could have it done and do the whole
thing in one weekend.  What about clutch and flywheel.  Any benefit to
upgrading?

I need a new top and interior trim for behind the seats, and I want to put
in a roll bar with 4 point harness, or something better than the seat belts
in it now.  Any suggestions?

I've had nagging electrical problems.   Wiring harness wasn't changed.  It's
mostly just oxidation and loose connections.

I want to upgrade the ignition.  Seems like I remember something about a
swap with a late model electronic unit?  Any recommendations.

Anybody found a good way to put high quality sound in without sacrificing
the glove compartment?

Dash is cracked.  Is there a repro dash for a 70 or am I stuck with a dash
cover?

Anybody know where I can find a LS Differential?   Has anyone swapped the
axle to something with LSD?

I know this is a long list, but what Roadster owner doesn't have one?
Anybody in the Kansas City area?

Sincerely,

Dave Driemeier

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01BFA4A9.EFF91510
        name="Dave Driemeier.vcf"
        filename="Dave Driemeier.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Driemeier;Dave
FN:Dave Driemeier
ORG:PCG;09-09-98
TITLE:IS Project Manager
NOTE:Internet Email Address:  dave.driemeier@pcg.com
TEL;WORK;VOICE:913-310-3365
ADR;WORK:;Lenexa Administration;16047 West 110th =
Street;Lenexa;KS;66219;US
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Lenexa =
Administration=3D0D=3D0A16047 West 110th Street=3D0D=3D0ALenexa, KS =
66219=3D0D=3D
=3D0AUS
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:DaveD@PCG_NT.PerformanceContractingInc..com
REV:20000128T201910Z