Re: SPL31104021 Update 3

To: "Ben Zech" <motormite@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: SPL31104021 Update 3
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:09:07 -0400
  Sounds like your floats have sunk! Either that or the valves in the float
chamber lid are clogged and stuck open.
   Easy to check.  Pull the overflow tube and shine a light in.  Your floats
should be at the top.  If you see gas along side of or on top of the floats,
time to buy new ones.
  If you can't see enough through that little hole, four phillup screws and
you can pull the lid assembly.  Spray some WD40 around the gasket before
removing the lid so you don't tear the gasket.  If you decide to pull the
fuel line off to get the lid out, then this would be a good time to check
the fuel line screens in the banjo bolts.  You may not find them as they
seem to be a popular PO throw away.  At less than a buck a piece at your
friendly Datsun supplier, they are cheap insurance against crud getting in
the carbs.
  With the lid off, check the float valve.  New fiber (plastic) floats are
available.  If you replace one, replace them both!  Again, they are
available from almost any Datsun friendly supplier.  Last I checked, $10 at
CDM.
  That should do it.  About 30 minutes of work ( or an hour or so if you are
an ace mechanic like me!) and you should have stopped the overflow.  Good
time to check your fuel hoses and fuel filter also. And top off the oil in
the SU domes.
  The main thing is not to let something this minor keep you off the road.
Fix it before you have an engine fire and get back to enjoying the ride!

Paul
OROC