U 20 Engine Questions

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U 20 Engine Questions
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 06:24:14 -0700
List,
When Mike Poorboy was down last weekend I pulled the cam cover off for
him to see the cam oiler tube and the cam on my engine.  I noticed that
there was a bad cam lobe so I decide to pull the engine apart.  I have
the head off and the pan off.  My head has been ported.  And the oil pan
had an oil baffle welded in it.  Is this a stock pan or modified?  It is
a steel pan, not the aluminum deep sump.  The engine is supposed to have
about 20,000 miles on it.  Chains and tensioners look good.  At this
milage, would you replace the rod bearings since the engine is out.  I
will be pulling a rod cap off to look at them.  The cross hatch hone
marks are still easily visible, so I don't know if I will pull the
pistons out of their cylinders.  It all looks pretty clean.
The cylinder bore measured with a dial caliper is 3.6" and the stroke is
3.348.  Engine is supposed to be 2150cc.  Does this sound right.  I have
looked up the specs for a stock engine and these numbers do not match.
BTW this is the Vern Colvin engine I was talking about earlier.  I will
need to find/buy a cam and rockers now.  It did have a Delong 386-4 cam
in it.  Thanks
Bob
67.5