Headlight relay cure.

To: <strachanb@juno.com>
Subject: Headlight relay cure.
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 10:59:55 -0700
Barrie,

Thanks for the article! Very complete!

When the Roadster was still new to me, I had this problem. At first I
thought it was the high beam switch on the column. I disassembled the column
and rehabbed the switch with no change in the symptoms. Complexity is the
rule of order for troubleshooting. The more complex the more likely the
trouble. The relay was the next on the complexity order. I took the relay to
my bench and removed the cover. I found the  internal contacts were in very
poor shape. I cleaned and polished each one. I also found that the soldered
connection for the coil was loose. This was the major offender! With that
high resistance connection, the little coil was not getting the power to
hold the relay switch against the contact. After resoldering the connection,
this problem was solved.

The easiest fix is to get a new relay. CDM had one for me (I just wanted the
nice Plating!). No idea of the part number or it's availability at Nissan.

 Victor
70 SRL 31113136
Los Angeles
SoCalROC http://www.ameri-eagle.com/datsun/