Tune up and tweaking questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Tune up and tweaking questions
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 21:12:07 EDT
Hello List,
Although it will be a few months before I put the car on the
road, I still start it up every week or so.  (been doing that for
a year or so now...)   Just recently, the car has started running
really bad.  Decided to tune it up, and put in new points,
condenser, rotor and cap.  Car still ran crappy.  Looked
at the spark, and it wasn't bad, but was yellow/white.
Went hmmmm, and bought an Accel super stock coil,
nice yellow color, looks good in the engine room,
same size as stock.  Now spark is
blue and has a nice snap to it.  Car still runs crappy.
Soo, my 12 year old son comes out and says it sounds
like its clogged up somewhere.  I think about this
and pull off a gas line to one of the carbs, and crank
the car.  Just a drop or 2 comes out.  Ha!  turns out
that the glass fuel bowl gasket was dry and leaking air.
Put a little grease on it and now car is back to running
OK, but still not where it should be.  I have
troubleshot the vacuum advance, and its leaking,
so I have one coming, as that leak will lean out
one carbs idle.  Also, noticed that one of
the SU plungers is missing (just black knob
is there)  so, piston for that carb comes up
fast indeed.  Have one of those coming also.
Now, here is my question.  Also noticed, that
with no air filter and the float breather lines off,
gas occasionally squirts out of the after carb,
but not the forward carb.  My question is:
is there a easy shadetree way to adjust the floats?
These are 240Z SUs with hinged floats made out
of some kind of black foam stuff.   My general
plan is same as any car, ensure compression
then ensure ignition before fooling with carb(s)...
I got all kinds of compression, and I feel good
about the spark now.....
So, once I get the floats and other problems
fixed I plan on dialing in the carb mixture
and the timing.  This is a low mileage
engine, but has mostly sat for about 5 years.
There is no timing marks on the front
cover, so I plan on advancing it until
I get a spark knock on hard throttle/
low RPM/ high gear/premium fuel.
I think I can get the carbs close before
the timing by using the book procedure,
then do minor tweak after spark is correct.
(based on spark plug color and smoke or
lack of in the rear view mirror)
OK, am I missing anything here?
Thanks for any insight!