Re: The importance of the shift knob.

To: Beamonk@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The importance of the shift knob.
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 19:13:30 EDT
I can relate.  Back in college I was driving a '66 Mustang across country to
a CTLT course (Cadet Troop Leader Training - ROTC stuff) when the Mustang
started to have a slight vibration while leaving out of Memphis.  It got
worse as I crossed Arkansas until it felt like I was driving a jackhammer.
When I crossed into Oklahoma, I decided to take a break (pardon the pun)at
the first rest area.  As I was slowing down, I depressed the clutch to
downshift when it happened......The shifter moved to the back of the hole
and then DROPPED a good 6 inches.  The tailshaft bushing failed (that was
the start of the vibration from the driveshaft) and the resultant failures
included the u-joints, the yoke, the transmission, the crossmember, the
bellhousing, ALL of the clutch parts, the exhaust - well you get the
picture.

Good thing that I was holding the shifter though!

Mandatory Roadster content - would not have dropped if it was a Roadster -
the frame is in the way.

Sid