Re: U20 Questions

To: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: U20 Questions
From: "Mike Kerr" <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:10:59 -0700
For street use the U20 is fine , I beat the hell of the motor and it holds
up ...yes things go wrong ,
once I bought a fancy shift knob , was behind this 914 , came to a strait
away , went to dumb it into 2nd  and floored the gas, only to have the knob
in my hand  and  not on the stick , I broke the  tac, and there was this
tick after works , burnt out a few Wrist pins..
once I had the oil filter blow of,  too much revving with engine cold and a
high pressure oil pump blew it off noticed it just in time as the oil ran
out ....
 then had a problem with the wrong  "C" clips  had to sleeve that cylinder
 blew the clutch up getting on the though way trying to get ahead of the
semi coming down the road , was at 8500 rpms in second gear..
not all this  happened on the same motor , and have many other stories much
the same .. but overytime it was my driving or  wrong parts that was the
real cause not the design..  also U20s have a too  small a radiator, and the
stock carbs are crap, and then add to that the smog crap nissan  put on them
that caused them to over heat, and the factory  parts are high price so many
cut corners...when working on it .. also it has 40 % more HP and many have
more that that over the R16..   I have had customers get 150,000 out of the
U20 motor but drove it like a normal car...  If you keep the rpms under 7000
the motor will hold up quite well.......

Mike Kerr
Restoration Products
3730 todrob Ln.
Placerville, CA 95667