Re: Alternator Woes

To: Eric Frisbee <efris@home.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator Woes
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:49:08 -0500
Eric,

On the "SINGLE WIRE" self exciting alternator... you need
to connections. A good ground, and the other connection
to a BATTERY.

Since you only measured "3V" on the positive post, you are
not hooked up to the battery at all. Should be around 12.5,
once charging you should see around 14.0 Volts.

I do recommend running the alternator connections DIRECT
to the battery for checking everything out.  You might have
a fried ammeter that is internally opened.

A nice tool is having a "clamp on" DC CURRENT PROBE for
a good FLUKE Test Meter. You can at least tell the current
flowing through the wire.  Of course being cheap that I am,
I just measure the voltage drop across a known wire, and
"guesstimate" as to the current flowing through the wire.
Once again those cheap "taiwan" test meters for $15... toss
into the nearest trash can. Spend $80-$200 for a decent FLUKE
test meter, and you'll save hours of frustrations in the long
run.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX