U20 copper head gaskets

To: "311" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U20 copper head gaskets
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:42:06 -0700
Hi all-

Okay, now I'm confused.  I saw a few list members report that
the double-thick copper head gaskets are a "good thing".

Then I saw Marc Sayer (AIR) say that they are a "bad thing".

The www.headgasket.com website mentions "annealing" and "stop
leak" as part of a typical installation.  Annealing being
cookin' it with a torch, the stop leak being that radiator
clogging crud.  Neither of those words make me particularly
confident.

My '69 is just a plain-jane runabout, and I was hoping to lower
the compression a tick and tighten up the timing chain (which
doesn't really need much, a bit of shimming would be fine).

So help me out here Roadsterites - what should I do?  Just
use a stock gasket for reliability, deal with the higher CR,
and shim the tensioner?  Or get a double thick copper one and
see how it goes?  A hotter cam would make the CR more livable,
right?  The list looks down this AM, so I never saw what cam
regrinding/rocker resurfacing(and/or replacement) is likely
to cost - any estimates?

TIA,
Kyle
almost found a used tranny, time to get the engine fixed;-)