Trouble ahead

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Trouble ahead
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:52:34 PDT
All,

Since I got my car, everyone has been asking about whether I will body off
the frame restore the car. I of course have heard about it's the only way to
REALLY get the car done right, especially if the car has serious problems
that need to be addressed. I always have thought my 67.5 2000 to be a pretty
straight car with just a little rust damage.

Today, I decided to pull the spare out of the trunk and clean it out
throughly. I have known about a dime size rust hole above the gas tank, but
when I took the spare out and looked around, I started seeing signs of
trouble.

There is a large circular depression just to the rear and right of the spare
tire mounting stud. Also, the rib pattern of the bottom of the trunked is
skewed, like it was damaged and repaired. Lots of surface rust. The vendors
who are telling me to frame it off are starting to make sense. One thing I
did not know was that right next to the wheel wells are holes plugged with
rubber stops. Drain holes? I never knew about them until I accidently
removed one.

Anyhow, I have a request of the list. I have posted Some pics of the trunk
and if anyone has the time or interest, I would like your opinion on it.
It's at http://www.netcom.com/~andr/trunk1.jpg trunk2.jpg trunk3.jpg

Thanks for any help/advice,

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC