Re: Cutting SHifter

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cutting SHifter
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:19:53 -0500
Hmm, does this mean the price for a shifter is $30 + shipping? ;-)
I know I have a couple around here, darn if I can find them!!!

On those NISMO aluminum bushings. The shifter will vibrate a
little louder, but it does improve the feel of the shifter. I have
a bad habit of "pulling up" on the shift lever when pulling it
down. With some worn out rubber bushings I pulled the shifter
right off the linkage while on an autox. Hmm, second gear only!

The only drawback is that with the solid aluminum bushings it
is much easier to "force" the transmission shift folks a little harder.
The old Interpart catalog had "heavy duty shift roll pins" as it
was easy to shear the OEM roll pins that hold the shift fork to
the shift level. Never had that problem with the roadster five
speed, but managed to pull too hard on a four speed 510 gear
box. Once again by shortening the level it will reduce the force
you can put on the shift folks, so probably a non issue.

Humor: Dropped off a Honda 1600cc engine at a machine
shop. Aluminum block, but a customer was standing there as
I carried in the engine. He kept giving me a funny look like "Geeze
I don't want to mess with a guy who carries the cylinder head in
one hand, and a engine block in the other".  <grin>

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX