what has been learned (electrical)

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: what has been learned (electrical)
From: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:34:11 -0800 (PST)
The other night Victor and I installed all new brakes on the 70. he had
some new brake pads and shoes lying around which he provided for the
cause. thank you so much!
we adjusted and re bled the system, and for the first time in my
roadster history, two clicks up on the E- brake produces a rear wheel
lock up when moving! boy, that's exciting! (to me anyway)

So, with this newfound stopping power, and my "fixed" charging system,
I decided to go for an extended test ride. I did a 60 some mile jaunt
from my house through the hills and canyons, winding down to the coast.

finally I came around the last turn, where Bam!.... there is the
pacific ocean! quite splendid.

on the way home winding my way back up from sea level....ammeter pegs..
oh, boy #$@&^*%%)(*&^%%$$##  + 30 again! I put on every accessory I
could to use up the extra amps frying my battery. This  dropped the
reading to about + 15.

I nursed the car home. On the downhill sections I put it into nuetral,
causing the overcharge to go down, as I was in idle.
I made it, but my spirits did not.. contemplations of NOROC and SADROC,
and just throwing a tarp over the car and letting it sit filled my
head.

Just for the hell of it, I decided to take a look at what might be
causing the problem. (all the while "knowing" it wouldn't be fixed)

Well, I'll be damned! I got it fixed!!!! in 5 minutes at that!

What it was:

In a previous post, I mentioned that I fixed it but wasn't sure what
the problem was...I didn't know WHAT action/remedy cured the problem.

That made me nervous, leading to "maybes"... maybe it was this maybe it
was that.....

Well here is what it WAS.  the wire coming off the alternator going to
"N" of the regulator was holding on by a thread. when I checked it at
home a tiny wiggle snapped it off.
I resoldered it to the connector and it INSTANTLY fixed the
overcharging situation!

here is what I have learned;
1) Ohmmeters are relatively usless in diagnosing some electrical
problems.
why I say that is; a continuity check will say something is good with
one strand left,while not having enough contact there to have the
cicuit "Do What It Is Supposed To Do". I had time and time checked the
continuity of these wires, "they couldn't be bad"
In my case the wire must have been wiggled around enough to provide
enough contact( for a little while)

2)Trust what you know.

 don't undermine your own certainty and get into the self doubt game.
once you "know" something is good, rule it out as a possibility

3) If you don't know how you fixed it.. you probably didn't.

All problems have one or more causes. if the proper one is found and
corrected, instant relief can be experienced, and the problem is
solved.

4) DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ignore known data on the subject.

the manual lists as one of the reasons for overcharging, "N" not making
good connection, and that is exactly what is was.

OK, enough babbling, it's fixed and the ride was great!

Roman