U Joints

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U Joints
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:30:13 -0500
What a pleasure to change U joints on a 30+ YO car. Encrusted with rust and
grease it was a joy! I used oven cleaner to get rid of the grease, then
dipped it in Muriatic acid for a few hours to get rid of the rust and then
for a few days in a container of WD40.

I guess all the above worked as I was finally able to get the joint out or
should I say the cups. W/o using a shop press it was hard as I used a mini
sledge and 1/2" sockets to coerce out the joints and of course my huge vice.
Not elegant but effective.

I am happy to say all is done. I used antiseize in the bores as a lubricant
and painted it up nice before reassembly. I used my vice to press in the
cups and it was a breeze with everything being clean, lubed and rust free.

Mike