Re: How much head is needed?

To: Jeff Etheridge <maurell@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: How much head is needed?
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:57:58 -0600
Jeff,

Stock thickness is 3.248"  I couldn't find any reference in my files for
max cut, but I seem to remember 0.050" max cut.  Measure the thickness and
see how close to stock it is.  After that, just have them take as little
as possible.  If you have flat top pistons you shouldn't have too much
problem, but if you have domes, check for clearance wit the head sitting
on the block withoug a  head gasket.  Turn the engine over and see that
the head does not rock.

When I bought my current 1600 in California and started driving it back to
Texas I blew a head gasket and had to have the head shaved.  I found that
the head had been cut WAY too far by the PO.  Close inspection showed that
one of the pistons had actually been kissing the head.  I used a die grinder
and made new chambers to clear the pistons with no head gasket in place.  It
got me back to Texas, plus another year before I replaced the head.  I had
MUCH more power with the shaved head, but I really needed to get a good head
on it.  My head had been cut so far that there wasn't a vertical edge to the
shallow end of the combustion chamber!  I suspect that my compression ratio
was well over 11:1.  The engine also put out quite a bit extra heat, bordering
on overheating.  After replacing the head the temperature dropped back to
normal.  I also have domed pistons!

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885