<LONG> Re: $23,000 Roadster value/ wrong reasons?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: <LONG> Re: $23,000 Roadster value/ wrong reasons?
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:56:41 EST
In a message dated 1/28/01 9:06:19 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
stickerman@home.com writes:

> >Mike
> I saw the ad, car looks real clean.  I know some on this list have spent
> @20K on their Roadsters to get one that nice.  I hope he gets it, It just
> brings the value of all of them up.  With parts disappearing at an amazing
> rate, these things need to go up in value, or no one will restore them.  If
> the rebuilt 65/70 1500 on Ebay was worth $5,000.  This one is not far off.

 I hope the guy gets his $$ only because he prolly spent that much on it in
the first place. NOT because it will drive the price up on these cars.

I don't necesessarily want the value of my car to go up. The only investment
return I expect is a great big smile from driving it. If you want $, go
invest in stocks or sumthin'. If parts prices go up also, then  you, me & the
next guy won't be able to afford to keep our little cars on the road & they
will be relegated to being "trailer queens" only making the show/auction
circuits. Don't even figure insurance in there either.

As far as "nobody will restore them", heck ..... look at the list. Sure we
will... we already ARE !!!  IMHO, part of the Roadsters charm is the fact
that is IS an affordable, unique little car.

I recently went to the Barrett-Jackson auction here in Scottsdale... It was
really a sad day. Beatuiful cars- lotsa $$, but no one seemed to really
*care* about the "smile-factor" of the cars. Sure, the sellers knew all the
specs, could quote production ##'s but I found it an insult to the
designers/engineers/ and the cars themselves to just be looked at as objets
d'art. Take the guy in the '50 Delahaye - grinding the gears as he drove it
off to the auction block... HE never drove that car - it was painfully
obvious. Or the '69 Torino Talledega  with 00004.3 on the odometer. The sign
quoted " 2 mi on resto- every nut & bolt dissassembled and restored to
original." Gee.. that makes avg life between total rebuiild 2.15 mi. What
kind of life for a car is THAT ?!?!?!?!?. Or the AC Aceca - "race car -
correct in every way" - ok, so where's the greasy fingerprints on the
windscreen from jumping into the driver's seat? where's the grease oozing out
from the spinners of my favorite brand of wheels: "UNDO----->" ? Rock chips?
remains of pit/inspection-stickers on the windscreen? how about the pucker
marks in the worn leather seats when the warning sign *really meant* 35mph
??? Ha! - this car wasn't correct. and, BTW, new leather looks like PLASTIC
!!!!

I know, I know, enough already... but I just don't want our Datsuns to ever
end up this way.

<SOAPBOX = DOWN>

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311