Re: Sorry, this is the $23,000 Roadster

To: "Mark Dent" <stickerman@home.com>, "Gordon Glasgow"
Subject: Re: Sorry, this is the $23,000 Roadster
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:15:21 -0500
Mark,

I can understand you're wanting to have the values increase so restoration
is economically feasable. I have probably 12K into mine and that was mostly
spent in 1980 at the prices then, however these ain't, in no way, $23K cars.
For that kinda money you can put your butt into a Porsche, Alfas, Maseratti,
Lamborghini and almost a Ferrari if you don't mind not having a 250GT or
275.

Just because you put 20K+ into a car doesn't mean you'll get that out. After
seeing the Barrett-Jackson auction I saw some cars not sell for what they
cost to restore. You take your chances and you do it for "love" and not for
the money.

The day these cars start commanding an asking price of 20K+ is the day
they'll inhabit a garage and be like many of those garage/trailer queens. I
also doubt anyone will pay that much if he has any sense.

Sorry, I don't think these cars are worth 20K+ unless they are real special
like a real low no. 67.5 2L or a real low numbered car that has never been
restored. While rare they are still at the bottom end of the sports car
range.

Mike

PS - You can flame me, I really don't care, but these are still rather crude
but fun cars. I owned them for many years and get a kick out of driving them
but it'll be a cold day in hell before I'll pay 20K for one.