carpet

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: carpet
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:03:06 -0500
I just got in from a long weekend and have been reading the carpet items.  I
put new carpets in a year or two ago and I used the mylar and bubble wrap
insulation they sell at Lowes (Home Depot, etc) for my underlay.  I cut out
pieces using cardboard patterns and connected the pieces together with gray
duct tape, then duct taped them to the floor and sides of the cockpit.  I
then had a local upholsterer glue "mouse fur" carpet to the insulation.
When I need to take out pieces of carpet they come apart at the gray tape
seams and can be taped back in easily.  I took some of the carpet out to
install a different roll bar. Everything went back together and the carpet
looks good.  The mylar insulation is super light and insulates against noise
and heat very well.  I don't drive in the rain in my datsun, so I don't know
if the floorboard carpets retain water, but I'll bet they don't retain that
much. If you use a one-piece carpet from a list supplier, you can still use
the underlay, just cut small circles where the snaps will go. I'm pulling
for you.  We're all in this together.

Leisure Suit Terry