Re: Interior work prices.

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@hodge.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Interior work prices.
From: "Ron@Home" <ronday@home.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 17:21:31 -0500
> For the BADROC'ers its called AA top and trim right off alemany on
> seneca its theh shop Mike Young uses to do his interiors and he also says
> nice things about them... though they are not cheap but I was not able to
> find a 'cheap' good quality place.. maybe I need to go down to TJ to get a
> 100dollar tuck and roll job....
> Oh I decided to stay with vinyl the shop convinced me that marine
> grade vinyl was the only way to go.

Daniel,

I think you pretty much made you own point in the last couple of paragraphs.
Some folks baulk at my (computer) consulting fees and the fact that I bill a
minimum of four hours. IMO, they're not just paying for the time I'm on
site, but the 20 years of experience that I bring to that time so it doesn't
take 8 hours or two days.

It's the same with very experienced craftsmen like the trim shop you
mentioned, Les, Dennis and the other quality vendors, both fulltime and part
time, that we unhesitatingly recommend. They've been there and done that,
many times, so why (try to) reinvent the wheel. In our small community they
give good advice and good value, or they don't stay long.

Our toys aren't cheap and certainly aren't getting any cheaper. Actually
they probably never have been cheap, relatively. Yeah, we paid around $3K
for our 2000 new in '70, but Elayne was making maybe $1.50/1.75 per hour
while I was driving 35 miles one way to school. I'd guess that buying a
comparable car today cost about the same amount compared to income.

I would suggest that you have an alternate way of getting around, even if
it's just a beater to drive when the roadster's down. For some of us, our
toys are not our daily drivers. In either case, having a second (third,
forth!?) something to drive can take the pressure off getting your regular
driver back on the road.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)