My Choice was Re: Choices...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: My Choice was Re: Choices...
From: "Jeffrey Wilson" <jeffalso88@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:53:47 -0700
Well, Diana has been saying everything regarding our little "dilemia"
because its her car and I'm just there for the ride ;)

Thanks to all the information we received for people on the board, and one
anonymous person who took some time to come take a look, we have discovered
its simply a brake leak on the Front Left wheel. Suggestion was to replace
the Caliber, perhaps even the cylinder.

I personally would like to do it myself, if I can talk Diana into letting my
amatuer mechanic hands to touch it. Now, going on the assumption I talk her
into letting me do it, the question is what do I need?

1. Should I replace the entire brake portion on just that wheel or do I go
and replace the brake portions on All wheels?

2. Do I simply replace the "broken" portion, or since we really have no idea
what has been done to this car before we bought it, should I yank the entire
brake assembly off all wheels and redo them all from the ground up?

3. Depending on the direction we go (just the one wheel or all wheels) what
parts will be needed and where do I find them?!?!?! Nothing fancy needed, no
racing parts needed, just the parts that will allow me to get the brakes
working and reliable!

4. Lastly, is there anything out there that would give me a Step-By-Step on
how to replace all these parts on the brakes? The more detailed the better,
please. I'm pretty good at following instructions as long as they are clear
and detailed. Pictures really help! :) Remember, I've never done this before
so I need all the help I can get ;)

Oh, one more question I suppose. Am I nuts for wanting to do this myself
when I know nada about cars and even less about how to do brakes?  It's
scary, that part of me wants to just go out there and pull the car apart and
start replacing parts, but I don't think Diana would like to see her car in
pieces ;)

Jeff