Re: pulled off the old dash cover and ugh..

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@hodge.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: pulled off the old dash cover and ugh..
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:59:10 -0500
Daniel Neuman wrote

>Hello all,
>       Yesterday I pulled off the old dash cover and it took a lot of the
>original plastic dash with it.  Now the dash is mostly cracked foam.  I am
>worried that the new dash cover will not stick to the foam and that there
>is not enough plastic left to glue to.
>       What type of glue should I use??
>       The cover I pulled off only had glue in maybe ten spots... what is the
>best places to use the glue??
>               Daniel 69 2000
>               SF CA
Ah, a brave soul!  The foam underneath is crumbly and crysty too I bet.
Consider the silicone adhesive usually recommended for the vac-formed
covers.  You might think about getting the large calking-gun size tube of
adhesive, and sealing the foam surface of some of the craters, don't go
any thicker than about 1/8 of an inch tough, or it will stay gooey under
the surface for quite awhile.  Use a small rubber spatula or better a
palette knife from an art store.  The general wisdom is to glue around
the perimiter and around the openings.  Roman has the real skinny on
how-to.  One note of caution, AVOID ADHESIVES WITH SOLVENTS!  Goop, and I
think Liquid nails contain tolulene, and this can soften your ABS
dashcap.  That's ABS the plastic, not the braking system ;-)

-Marc T

Marc Tyler
Designer,
Animal Firm