Re: Steel core (not freeze) plugs

To: karl.payne@gm.com
Subject: Re: Steel core (not freeze) plugs
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:02:41 -0700
Amen to this, the term freeze plugs is so misleading, though I still prefer
brass. I think the big question for the car makers is cost. I have seen only
three modes of plug failure, seepage, pop out, and rust out. Seepage shows up
right away (if a plug starts seeping years later its a rust issue which is
different) and is a fitment issue not a plug materials issue. Pop out is not
exactly plug materials related either. But rust out is completely materials
related and happens to all steel plugs, zinc plated or not. Besides the brass
plugs look much cooler. :-)