Re: Plugs, girls and rust

To: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>, Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Subject: Re: Plugs, girls and rust
From: karl.payne@gm.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:20:27 -0500
*snip*
Amen to this, the term freeze plugs is so misleading, though I still prefer
brass. I think the big question for the car makers is cost. I have seen only
three modes of plug failure, seepage, pop out, and rust out. Seepage shows up
right away (if a plug starts seeping years later its a rust issue which is
different) and is a fitment issue not a plug materials issue. Pop out is not
exactly plug materials related either. But rust out is completely materials
related and happens to all steel plugs, zinc plated or not. Besides the brass
plugs look much cooler. :-)
*unsnip*

Marc,
Awright, awright.  You got a point about brass looking cool.  Can't agree that
all steel plugs rust OUT though.  If you properly maintain your coolant and
cooling system they will last as long as your engine.
But hey...  you prolly get more girls by flipping the hood and showing them your
brass plugs anyway.   *grin*
Mileage may vary...

Karl