priming the oil pump

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: priming the oil pump
From: RiedelD@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:33:03 -0400
I made up one of Tom's primer rods and went about priming the oil pump
on my '69 2000 yesterday.  The rod slipped into place nicely and I saw
oil coming out of the tach oil line quite shortly after starting the drill
(on
reverse).  However, after probably 2-3 mins turning the pump, I still didn't
see any oil coming into the valve-cover/cam area (looking through the
filler cap).  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Did I not spin the pump
fast enough? long enough?

I'd like to put the battery in and start the engine tonight, but I want to
make
sure things are adequately lubed first.  Note: the car has not run for about

1.5 years.

thanks,
Dave Riedel
Victoria, BC