Re: '66' SPL311 questions

To: Robert Giel <giel@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: '66' SPL311 questions
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:54:42 -0800 (PST)
> 1.  A VIN ON THE FRAME ITSELF (not the VIN tag on the hood
> ledge/firewall) is often mentioned on this list.  Where on
> the frame is this number located?

You should be able to see this on the driver's side of the frame, about
under the front carb (or so I've been told).

> 2.  How do you hook up a hoist to the "R" engine and tranny?
> I have a boom hoist (a.k.a. "cherry picker") and an engine
> leveler. This engine-tranny combo has no lifting brackets,
> no on-top intake manifold for hardware attachment, and an
> aluminum head which I fear may be easily damaged.

There should be two brackets on the head.  One is on the front of the
head on a stud that is parallel to the ground, facing the front of the
car.  The other is on the back head bolt on the driver's side.  If
they're not there, you'll need to remove a couple of head bolts and use
them instead.  Another list member can probably give you the best way
to do this without warping the head.  You don't need to hook anything
up to the tranny, but you do need to tilt the engine/tranny combo back
quite a bit to get the it to clear the tranny tunnel.

> 3.  All of my slave cylinders (clutch and rear brakes) leak
> horribly.  What texture should the internal rubber parts
> (piston caps) have?  Soft, firm, hard? Flexible, semi-stiff?

I dunno, but replace, replace, replace.  Not too expensive and readily
available.  I assume by rear brakes you mean the wheel cylinders.

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181
http://www.picturetrail.com/abend