Re: OT - 6-speed tranny

To: "Gary McCormick" <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>,
Subject: Re: OT - 6-speed tranny
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:20:55 -0500
Most of the 5 speeds which replaced 4 speeds for consumer cars were to allow
for an overdrive gear. That's what the 5 speeds in the Roadsters and Zs did,
although the Roadster 5 speeds are geared differently than the 4 speeds
because of the increase in the size of the engine and consequently the 5
speeds had a higher geared 1st gear and the rest of the gears were also
changed to keep the gearing tighter.

The 6 speeds in the Corvette were to allow an even higher overdrive w/o
loosing acceleration and allow them to get better MPG.

I read an interesting article somewhere that said that trannies are mostly
geared incorrectly because the primary objective of the car makers is to
allow 60 to be reached with only 1 or 2 shifts rather than 3 which would
slow the 0-60 times. Some cars can reach 60 w/o shifting but slower off the
line.  Interesting idea and probably right too.

The Miata 6 speed has the same overall ratios as the 5 speeds but Mazda
wanted a close ratio tranny. I did hear that except for bragging rights it
offers not much more performance and several racers I spoke to hate them.

Mike