KA24 swap vs. 1600 rebuild

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: KA24 swap vs. 1600 rebuild
From: "aaron atkins" <amatkins@qnet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:03:04 -0700
    Well my overheating problem has been found..FINALLY.  And I feel pretty
dumb for not looking into it before.  The timing chain is stretched
extremely badly; there must be 20 degs. of slop in it.  With 110# of
compression and a bad timing set, I'm looking into options again.  Someday I
will learn to keep old e-mails from the list about new webpages.  Who has
the most comprehensive page about doing the KA24 swap?
    The one thing I have not seen is a good dollar for dollar comparison of
swapping vs. rebuilding (1600).  Who has done a complete re-build lately?
Assuming my crank only needs turning and my rods are good, what does it cost
to do a COMPLETE re-build on a 1600?  On the other side of the coin; If I
could get a KA24 set-up (motor,trans,ECU) for about $800.00, how much does
all of the little stuff (rad.,plumbing,mounts,misc) cost?  Has anybody
converted a KA24 or SR20 to carbs?  I know this may be a silly question, but
carbs are easy and I would not have to modify the current system a whole
lot.
    Finally, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a Vintage Formula Vee
w/trailer.  It is a barn fresh roller.  The chassis is super straight, and
all of the body work is present.  I think I'm going to sell it to finance
the Roadster project (some more).  If anyone is interested in it contact me
O/L.

Thanks,
     Aaron
'67 1600