Re: Spring rate?

To: Tomet9@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring rate?
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 13:41:26 -0700
Spring rate is the amount of load that it takes to deflect the spring a
given amount.

With automotive coil compression springs like the front ones on a
roadster,the rate is specified in force divided by spring displacement (eg
pounds per inch or equivalent units).  Rate on these types of springs is
usually defined and measured between two heights, the first being with a
small amount of compression and the second somewhere before the coils start
to bind against each other.  The rate compressing and the rate extending
are essentially the same.

With all other things being as equal as possible the more turns the lower
the rate and the larger the wire diameter the higher the rate.  The
material in coil springs is mostly in torsion when there is a load.

Stan