Re: Think Datsun manulals are $$!

To: stl@adnc.com, 9laser3@bright.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Think Datsun manulals are $$!
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:46:18 -0700
This kind of puts things in perspective. I have heard a lot of people lament
about prices. (I have too) The thing is that Datsuns are relatively cheap in
comparison to other cars.

Case in point: The president of my company has a 1964 Ferrari GTE 250. He
recently paid 1000.00 for a shop manual for it. Now granted, he makes a lot
more money than I do but still, a thousand dollars for a manual? It all
comes down to the fact he wants to enter his car at Pebble Beach and any car
that wants to show there has to hit 85 or above. It's worth it to him.

I have a lot of respect for people that make their cars go on a shoe string
budget. They do their own work on the cars and they look for low prices.
Makes sense to me. However, I don't have those skills or the time. Since I
don't have the skills or the time that leaves money. That is what it will
take to restore my car.

I have talked to vendors and they are in this to make a living. The number
one complaint I hear is "people want something for nothing".  They are very
helpful and they know most of us by name. I am willing to pay for their
expertise and for their parts. Every vendor out there has sold me parts. I
for one am glad they are there.

I am OK with paying a fair price for parts and services. The value of the
part/service depends on what it is worth to you. If it isn't worth it that
is fine, but calling it "too expensive" only relates to you.

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC