I'm Back!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: I'm Back!
From: "Eric A. Isaacson" <eric.isaacson@jb-tool.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:16:03 -0500
Greetings,

I have been on the list since 1993, except for the last few months.  After my
employer, a computer consulting company, vaporized in late May, I have moved
to a tool and die shop.  Fortunately, the environment here is pro classic car.
That, plus the debut of the 350Z have really revived my enthusiasm for
Datsuns.  I am now ready to continue the restoration of my 1968 1600 Sports
(VIN SPL311-21575, Engine #: 64483).

I bought the car in 1993 while in college with no opportunity to perform the
restoration.  In retrospect, I may have acquired what must have been a parts
car to someone because of the numerous missing parts.  Though it is a low
mileage car (53K) with original paint, significant rust repair is required,
though very isolated.  If the wisdom of the group suggests acquiring a
complete car and using this car for parts, I could take it and not feel too
bad.  In fact, if there are some severe problem areas that is car has, it is
not too late to take action.  If someone has already compiled a list of what
is needed for a restoration and the proper steps to reassemble a '68, that
would be great!

Well, here is a partial listing of things I'm missing, are broken, or
eventually need:

Missing parts:
Valve cover oil cap
Radiator fan and shroud (and pulley)
Rear view mirror
Antenna
Fuel tank cap
2 wheels
Jack and related accessories (yes, I know never use the original)
Ignition key/lock and surrounding plastic
Trunk lock and related mechanism
4 hubcaps

Abused parts:
Some side stainless trim is a bit smashed
Front and rear bumpers dented, bent, and a bit twisted

New parts, rebuilt parts, rebuild kits:
All rubber parts and weather-stripping
Brakes, Master cylinder, caliper, wheel cylinders
Clutch, master, slave
Belt, hoses
Windshield (my original had a 1 foot hole in it)
Soft top
Interior kit
Carpet
Toneau would be nice

Things to repair:
Dash
Console
Floor pans
Front sills
Other body panels
Slight rust damage on trunk lid

I am not opposed to non-original exhaust, such as headers and upgraded brake
systems to facilitate the project.  For that matter, what are the proper
materials and methods for a frame-off restoration?  POR-15, sand/media blast,
acid-bath for frame prep?  Body prep?

I am determined for the project to come to completion by October 2003.  I will
have this car finished before I am Thirty, I swear!

Thanks everybody!

Eric A. Isaacson, BSME
eric.isaacson@jb-tool.com
JB Tool, Die, and Engineering Inc.