Re: ELECTRIC TURBO

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ELECTRIC TURBO
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@att.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:42:01 -0500
In my laboratory I built a hurricaine machine.  We test windows and other
fenestration products for structural performance with wind speeds in excess
of 200mph.  We also have rain and debris (2x4 pine) blasted into the windows
during the test.  To accomplish the wind speed we don't have a wind tunnel.
We use compressed air to create a differential of pressure across the window
equal to the amount of force generated by wind measured in pounds per square
foot.  We use electric blowers to generate this pressure.  The industry
standard blower that is small enough to fit on a car motor is a Cadillac
brand HP-33.  It's specification states that it can produce 196 CFM at 48"
of water cloumn.  That is equal to 1.73 psi.  These are very good quality
blowers that cost  $600.  I doubt that the cheap ones sold on Ebay come
anywhere close to 1.73 psi at 196 CFM.  Let's say they do just for argument
sake.  A solex roadster makes 150hp at 15psi (sea level).  An increase of
1.73 psi would equal a hp increase of 17hp roughly.   That is assuming that
the solexes don't exceed 196CFM combined and that there is a linear
relationship between hp and psi (which there isn't).   This also doesn't
take into account any losses from fliud dynamics and draw on the alternator.
Cadillac blowers also require 11 amps at 110 volts.  I don't know the math,
but I would guess it would take 100 amps or more at 12 volts to operate this
blower.  My bet is that the blowers sold on Ebay can't produce enough CFM at
any psi to keep up with the demand of the engine.  They probably would end
up as a restriction in the intake instead of a boost.

Andy

BTW-I've got one motor assembled and soon to have two.  You can never have
too many motors for a racecar.