It IS Running.. AT LAST

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: It IS Running.. AT LAST
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:55:27 -0700
I took Gordon's suggestion to static time the engine and will take
Adam's suggestion to rotate the distributor gear one tooth tomorrow, but
I was just barely able to get the static timing to work for me and I
could not wait.  I hit the starter and within a few revolutions it
started and actually idled reasonably decently for no carb setup.

I did look at things this morning before going to work and could see
Adam's gear rotation suggestion was probably correct, and saw something
that I had not even looked at before.  Ignoring the KISS theory was
biting me and I didn't like it one bit.  I had not removed the rotor,
and so had not paid any attention to the point gap, which was about
.010" too close.  After all this engine was running when the PO wrecked
my parts car....  Vegas Mike, your not the only one who kicks himself in
the come-a-long from time-to-time.

The rear carburetor does not seem to want to balance at lower RPM's and
I suspect airflow through the throttle shaft, which does have a little
play.  The front carb has about the same amount of play, but also seems
to adjust as desired.  Am I on the right track?  Oil pressure was about
mid scale at high idle, and the temp stopped about center gauge with a
new 180 degree thermostat.  No death rattle.

The tack makes a kind of howling sound and the needle is very unstable.
I have a spare and will need to test it and then figure out how to
change it out if the spare is good

Tomorrow I will get serious about completing the hydraulics and then
check the rear end fluid levels.  THEN maybe I can actually drive it!!!!

Tom
69 2000 coming to life
Portland