Piston Ring

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Piston Ring
From: Pete Dehmler <datsun@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:41:30 -0400
I am using some old Venolia pistons in the race car motor, and the ring
expander for one of the oil control rings has broken.

I imagine that this a futile gesture, but does anyone out there have any
.040" oversized, 3 piece oil control rings to fit a 1/8th inch ring groove
for a 1600 motor.

The groove depth is ~.169, measured 90 degrees to the pin. The piston
diameter at that point is 3.465" (about .009" smaller than the bore
diameter). The rings themselves measure between .0185 and .0192" thick and
.136" wide. Even if you only have an expander it would help. If you think
you've got one, let me know and I'll send you a photo of the old one to see
if it looks the same.

Venolia doesn't have any rings that size anymore, and has suggested trying
to get a replacement made by Deves. That I suspect, (assuming they can even
do it) will cost some serious $. I will find out tomorrow.

Finally, yes, I realize that I could ruin the motor with some bastardized
setup. I'll take that chance. Thanks for your concern.

Pete Dehmler