Re: Redline Fluid likes and dislikes

To: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Redline Fluid likes and dislikes
From: "Pete Koernig" <pkoernig@cableaz.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:29:59 -0600
I used to work for AZ Dept Transportation Equipment Section -- when we
switched all the older truck transmissions and differentials over to
synthetic lubricants (to eliminate fluid changes every two years),  the
manufacturer's representatives from Eaton/Fuller and Rockwell told us the
synthetics would give us 500,000 mile fluid life ---  BUT if the seals were
worn, were getting hard or had some carbon build up from extreme heat (you
about fry an egg on a plow truck transmission after 10 or 12 hours shoving
snow) they would start to leak and get worse fast.

They were right --- but in truth, the synthetic only caused us to change the
seals earlier than if we had left mineral oil in the gear boxes.  With the
synthetic the life of the seals is/should be extended.

I  put 75W-90 synthetic (Chevron or Texaco I think) in my Outback
differentials with no problem. I'm going to put synthetic in my '69 2000
when I get to it  --- got an engine to fix first.