Float Bowl Level Question

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Float Bowl Level Question
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:56:39 -0700
Now that the timing is right I am getting into setting up the carbs.
Balancing them won't be much of a problem if I can get them both working
at the same time.

My problem is that no matter where I set the mixture on either carb,
from full lean (up) to full rich (down) there does not seem to be much
difference in the way they work.  The back carb dramatically effects the
idle if I lift the damper just a little, no matter where the mixture is
set.  The idle/air flow screw is backed out all the way.

The front carb on the other hand has almost no effect on the idle when
the damper is lifted.  I have to lift the damper all the way to produce
a mildly rough idling engine.

Putting the Unisyn over the rear carb has quite an effect on the idle as
does putting the end of the hose from the top of the rocker arm cover
near the opening of the rear carb and drawing the fumes into the carb.
I do get good air flow measured by  the Unisyn on the rear carb.  On the
front carb I cannot get the ball to rise much at all without setting the
idle quite high.

At this point I have cleaned the dampers and changed their oil because
they needed it.  The needles are not worn anywhere and the dampers fall
with a nice thunk.

I have removed the float bowl covers.  The floats themselves look very
nice.  No problem there.  There is about 1 - 2 mm difference in the
depth of fuel in the bowl.  The rear is lower than the front.  I would
like suggestions about how to measure the float level.  I understand the
fuel should be about 23 mm below the top the the bowl.  I assume that is
measured from the top of the bowl without the cover.  Since my fuel
lines connecting the bowl to the fuel nozzle are clear (yes, they are
gasoline grade fuel hoses) I could use them for level tubes and measure
to a mark on the outside of the bowl.  In that case I just need to
confirm the 23 mm, or what the correct measurement would be.

Tom
69 2000
Portland