RE: Troubleshooting the next problem

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Troubleshooting the next problem
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 10:23:07 +0930
Hi C & L,
I did a simple leakdown test on my daughters Nissan Pulsar GTiR as
follows.
Remove all spark plugs
My "leakdown tester" was just an inflatable spark plug which I hit
with about 200 psi from the compressor.
A good cylinder will try to rotate the crank, so lock the crank up via
gears or whatever.
The proper way is to momitor the % leakdown via gauge over a period of
time, but I simply listened for air at the exhaust then inlet and
finally sump.
You can monitor the sump by removing the oil filler cap and wathing
for or listening for oil mist escaping i.e. air blowing by the
piston/rings.
Coupled with a compression test I picked up two broken pistons this
way.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under restoration.