Re: 1970 2000 engine and 5 spd tran

To: Ronald Mistak <remfender@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 1970 2000 engine and 5 spd tran
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:54:37 -0500
Hi Ron,

On the U20 (2000) and 5 speed... if both are in great shape, low
mileage, and you can verify them running... it would be a nice upgrade
for your '67 1600.

Catch is the timing chain parts on a U20 have gotten expensive. About
$1000 for JUST the chains, gears, guides, tensioners. If that engine
needs major work, you could easily spend $3500 on a major rebuild. If
only chains, rings, rod bearings, minor valve job, gasket set (minor
things I'll do if the engine is out), maybe $500.  Ditto on the 5 speed.
Could be $$$, or just bolt it in and off you go!

All you would need is a different driveshaft and rear cross member mount.

Alas, way too busy to get on the list much... but you have a bunch of
Roadster owners around Texas. Not sure how many as south as you are
(McAllen area, correct?) but more than a few around.

Tom Walter
'66 1600 -- no time to get it running!
Cedar Park, TX (near Austin)