Who I am

To: "roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Who I am
From: John Hogan <mad@madgrizzle.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:20:11 -0400
Well, I know I haven't been on the list all that long but I like this topic
and decided to throw out some PR.

I'm a single, 32-year old, electrical engineer (official title is managing
consultant), and I work for a relatively small (100+ employees)
telecommunications consulting firm (RCC Consultants).  We consult primarily
with public safety agencies, counties, cities, states, on wireless
communication systems.  We are also heavily involved with their Computer
Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems.  Personally, I am the manager of our projects
that we have with the Florida Department of Transportation.  Our largest
project with them is with the upgrade/reconfiguration of their statewide
microwave system that supports the Motorist Aid Call Box system (if you
travel in Florida you will see boxes along the interstates spaced
approximately 1-mile apart that lets you contact the highway patrol in the
event you need assistance such as medical, wrecker service, and
police).  We worked with the FDOT in building the system and got this
follow up contract to turn it into a system capable of supporting the
FDOT's Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).

As for cars, my dad has worked for Nissan for as long as I can
remember.  He's now retired from Nissan and is working as a general manger
type at a Nissan dealership in Orlando.  Naturally, I am forbidden to buy
anything but a Nissan.  Actually, I'd be stupid if I didn't as he can
generally (see below) help me get the car fixed if something goes
wrong.  My car history has been:

1979 310 (sold when got out of college)
1975 280Z (wrecked when I tried to pass a truck.. by going underneath it)
1979 280ZX (died.. big bang and gobs of white smoke)
1978 280Z2+2 (froze to death.. intermittent starting problems in the cold)
1991 Maxima (transmission died in September, Dad was no help, couldn't get
the car to Orlando)
2003 350Z (bought after I lost the transmission in my Maxima)
1967.5 2000 (bought last year and in process of restoring)

The only non-Nissan/Datsun car I had was a 1979 Pontiac Gran Prix dubbed
the "Harjeetmobile".  After I wrecked my 280Z, I bought this car from a
co-worker named Harjeet Nanda for $150 including a 19-inch TV (he was
moving).  Every single body panel of the car either had huge dents or was
completely mangled.  Things were falling apart so bad that in order to get
out of the car, I had to slide over to the passenger seat, latch a pair of
vice grips to the window handle stud (handle broke), roll down the window,
and then open it up from the outside.  I got pulled over once because of
broken taillight and the cop felt so bad for me he left me go without a ticket.

As for my 'handle' of madgrizzle, that came out of trying to find a login
name for AOL's instant messenger when my mom insisted I sign up for it.  I
now use the handle when I play online video games (Everquest, Dark Age of
Camelot, Earth and Beyond, etc.) and of course, for my website,
www.madgrizzle.com

Thats about it.

John

John Hogan
1967.5 2000 SRL31100141 "Solex" aka Rhoda
2003 350Z xxx1353 "Touring w/ 6-speed Manual" aka Zelda
www.madgrizzle.com
www.myformulas.com