Re: Spacer casting

To: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Subject: Re: Spacer casting
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:43:51 -1000
John F Sandhoff wrote:

> In regards to a problem with the 1600 thermostat/fill housing:
> > ... (I) have a chip off the bottom flange... Is it possible to TIG weld the
> > chip back on?
>
> If you don't need show quality I'd be tempted to try JB Weld (epoxy).

That's exactly what I did, John, when my (ultimate) solution to removing the
tower was to drill out the studs.  There was a little "runout" with one of the
holes and I replaced the missing material with JB Weld.  Worked great and no
esthetic problem since the hole is not visible ;-).

Not having a visualization of the damage, it's difficult to say for sure, but I
think JB Weld might also be the best solution for Joe, and the load should be
essentially compressive, and well within the capability of JB Weld.

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona