Marks' custom fiberglass work, THANKS

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: Marks' custom fiberglass work, THANKS
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:15:05 -0800
Hello Mark and folks in general.
I just wanted to take a moment and thank/congratulate Mark for his excellent
work and this helpful resource.  I teach fiberglass manuf'ing classes, and
it the most difficult thing not to get caught up in the chain of events
making a project like this and forget to take off the sticky gloves and take
digi-pics.  Mark, your outline and captions are terrific.  I will send all
the "I wanna put a boombox in my Civic" students to go see this site, as
they tend to be a bit challenged in terms of attention span, so when you lay
out these points their eyes just glaze over.  I guess I need to work on my
graphics, or let them hold a Nintendo joystick, as then they get intense and
listen and forget to blink and get all red-eyed..... sorry, OT there.
anyway, great stuff.  Not slagging, but there are a few hints below as well.
Very creative to put the cupholders just behind the seat.

From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Subject: Update on the "R"
Its time for an update on progress on the "R", our custom 66 1600.  I put up
new page on latest work last night -

<<When doing the glass, you want to drape the cloth past the edges so it
lays
flat against the MDF.  After it cures, you trim it off close to flush with
the MDF using the saw, then sand it the rest of the way flush.>>
Or, hang around until the resin has partially gelled (about the consistency
of a donut or orange peel) and then you can drag a blade thru it without
dragging the fibers for that "close to net" trimming operation.  It is
called 'green trim', and saves the ear drums and cutter blades, and with
thin parts the cutter can often delaminate the parts if gets caught up or
jammed a bit. (ask me how I know that one!)

<<The blue styrofoam is from Home Depot -1/2" / Carter Lumber 2".>>
and most of the electronic stuff (or most anything shipped from China) you
buy is packed in styrene foam.  You can find mounds out the back of a frig
store, Harbor Freight, etc.
thanks again Mark,
Fergus O'Fiberglass, 69 2000, HB,CA