RE: Engine Questions

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Questions
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:31:36 -0800
The bracket is a matter of maintenance more than anything else. I don't
consider it a design weakness.

The bottom ends are extremely stout. In fact, the crank and rods are beefier
than a SBC. Most of the engine is actually over-built.

The only weaknesses I have heard about only manifest themselves in full-race
motors. They are:

1. Less than optimal oil delivery to #2 and #4 main bearings. There is a
documented fix that involves drilling out the passages for better oil flow.

2. A shearing weakness in the nose of the jackshaft due to the double chain
arrangement, fixable by drilling back the bolt hole and installing a stud.

3. Extreme compression ratios (like greater than 13:1) can cause blown head
gaskets. They are hard to O-ring because of the notches at the top of the
bore for valve clearance. A perfectly round O-ring sits too far back from
the bore; one closer to the bore is no longer round because of the notches.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
www.gordon-glasgow.org